13 Tips to Ease Stress
Use these tips to help keep stress at bay.
- Ask yourself what you can do about the sources of your stress. Think through the pros and cons. Take action where you can.
- Keep a positive, realistic attitude. Accept that although you can't control certain things, you're in charge of how you respond.
- Stand up for yourself in a polite way. Share your feelings, opinions, or beliefs, instead of becoming angry, defensive, or passive.
- Learn and practice relaxation techniques. Try breathing exercises, meditation, prayer, yoga, or tai chi.
- Exercise regularly. You'll feel better and be more prepared to handle problems.
- Eat healthy. Avoid too much sugar. Focus on fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein. When you're stressed, you'll probably want less-nutritious foods, but if you overdo them, they'll add to your problems.
- Try to manage your time wisely.
- Say no, where you can, to things that would add more stress to your life.
- Make time for hobbies and interests.
- Get enough rest and sleep. Your body needs time to recover from stressful events.
- Don't rely on alcohol, drugs, or food to help against stress. Ease up on caffeine, too.
- Spend time with people you love.
- Talk with a counselor or take a stress management class for more help.