The primary service area for LAPWD is the provision of personal assistant services to people with physical and sensory disabilities in County Leitrim and surrounding areas. This service is operated in conjunction with the HSE and aims to ensure people can live independent.
Our highly trained personal assistants are committed to providing a user (or leader) directed assistance with day to day tasks.
What does a Personal Assistant do?
A personal assistant provides assistance with both personal care and household tasks, and assist disabled people to be active within their local community by attending work, college, and social activities. The activities of the personal assistant are directed by the person with the disability themselves, who is termed 'a Leader'.
Some of these activities may include:
- Support for social occasions, big or small, whether meeting a friend for a coffee or attending a wedding.
- Assistance with home maintenance, washing, cleaning and other general household duties.
- Managing dietary requirements, Shopping and food preparation.
- Cooperating with the user to perform self care, showering and other daily personal tasks.
- Support in work environments.
Who can get a Personal Assistant?
Only people over the age of 18 years old with a significant physical or sensory disability, living in County Leitrim may be eligible for a Personal Assistant.
If you would like to apply for a Personal Assistant give us a call today on 071 96 51000.
Interested in becoming a Personal Assistant?
People interested in working as personal assistants to disabled people within Leitrim County are welcome to contact us, with their Names and C.V's. Also look out in local publications for current job opportunities.